A good website needs to have solid performance, user experience, search engine rankings and a high conversion rate. Various optimizations can be performed to achieve these goals.
Let’s explore different types of website optimizations that can be made to achieve the above-mentioned goals.
Web Optimizations for Search Rankings
According to BrightEdge , organic search results in 60% of website traffic. So if your website is not ranking high on Google for select keywords relevant to your business, you’re leaving revenue on the table. Here are some ways to improve search rankings for your website.
- Your web content should have relevant keywords.
- You should do thorough on-site optimizations. This would include creating title tags, H tags, meta descriptions,etc that are optimized for search.
- You’ll also have to internal linking between different pages within your site and backlinking to other high-authority websites which you might have used as sources for content on your website.
- You’ll have to create quality content in the forms of blogs and other resources and publish them on your website.
Make your Website more Mobile Friendly
Your website analytics would show you that a large chunk of your audience is visiting your website through mobile devices. Here are some ways you can make your website more mobile friendly.
- Creating and using a responsive design that automatically adjusts the layout of a website to fit the size of the screen.
- Mobile devices have smaller screens, so the text and elements you use on the mobile version should be much larger.
- All the CTAs on the mobile version should be much larger as fingers are going to be used to click on them, and they’re much larger than cursors used on desktops.
- Navigation should be clear and concise. Users should be able to easily find what they’re looking for on websites and use the website easily using the touchscreens.
Improve Website Speed
The first factor that would contribute to users staying on your website would be its load speed. Your website should ideally load within 2 seconds. A study by Google shows that 53% of mobile site visitors would abandon the site visit if the website takes longer than 3 seconds to load.
There are several things that can be done to improve the load speed of your website.
- You can use a Content Delivery Network (CDN), which is a network of servers distributed around the world. The CDN will help deliver files from the server closest to the visitor when they request for it.
- Another tactic is to minify the CSS and JS files on your website. This can help remove unnecessary characters and white space.
- Other ways to improve loading speed are optimizing your images and using a caching plugin.
Make your website easy to use
There should be clear hierarchy and navigation should be very easy. Avoid clutter at all times. You can ask feedback from users for this purpose as well. Some questions you could be asking your users could be.
Did the website load fast enough?
- Did you understand what the website was about within the first few seconds?
- Were you able to understand what our core product / service offerings were instantly?
- How easy was the website to use?
- Were any features or sections on the website confusing?
- Any recommended website improvements
- What did you like the most about the website?
- Was the overall experience of using the website satisfying and would you consider visiting the website again?
Use Google Analytics & Heat maps to study the user behavior on websites
As a Digital Marketing Agency specializing in website design & development, we often come across brands who don’t have a clue on any key website metrics or how their users are behaving on their website. It is essential they pay close attention to key website metrics. By studying your web analytics we can determine
- How many unique & repeat users our website is generating
- How long they’re staying on our website
- Which pages they’re most interested vs what they’re least interested in
- Bounce rate.
All of this data would show us repeating patterns which we can use to optimize the content, UI / UX and overall performance of the website.
If you require assistance to implement any of these or other website optimizations, you can book a free consultation to connect with us.